Site map

Round Barn

The Holmes’ Barn

In 1907, after his original barn burned down, Henry Holmes who was married to Estella Edna Smith, decided to build a round barn on the family dairy farm that would be bequeathed to future generations. When he was a young man working in the forests of New England, Henry had seen and admired the round barns characteristic of the Shakers.

He called upon gifted builder and owner of the village sawmill, Willis Cramer, to design and build his barn.

Of the approximately fifteen round barns built at the beginning of the 20th century in the Way’s Mills-Barnston region, very few remain, of which the Holmes’ barn is one of the oldest.

According to legend, the round form prevents the devil from cornering his victims. However, it seems that the ease with which hay wagons could maneuver is the more plausible explanation.

After 1910 the round barns gradually gave way to the rectangular type, better adapted to the modernization of agriculture.

The Holmes' Round Barn was designated as a historic monument by the Municipality of Barnston West in 2001.

A major restoration took place in 2001.

  • Height to the eaves, 10 metres
  • Overall height, 20 metres
  • Central silo, 3 floors.
  • Ground floor — Cow feedboxes.
  • 1st floor — hay-loft.
  • 2nd floor — hay unloading floor
  • Wooden ventilation duct.
  • The original shingle roof replaced by metal roof.
Top